Labels

August 5, 2011

Buttermilk Scoop Biscuits




A few nights ago, I had the best intentions of making shrimp and cheddar grits with buttermilk biscuits for dinner. When Ron got home from work we made up a few batches of mango peach daiquiris and went for a float in the pool. Ever notice that time seems to go a lot faster when you are drinking daiquiris and floating in the pool? When we came in it was close to 8:30 and we were starving.  Luckily shrimp and grits is an easy meal, right?! Wrong, not that night!  I ended up with some sort of grits soup (Ron didn’t realize I was halving the recipe when he read me the liquid ingredients). Those went straight down the drain. I had an old-bay boil over on top of the impossible to clean glass top stove in our apartment and I was out of self-rising flour to make the biscuits. (As I read that back to myself it doesn’t seem nearly as bad or dramatic as it was in the moment.)  I wasn’t willing to accept total failure though and quite to my surprise I made up this “scoop” biscuit recipe that seemed to salvage our otherwise bland meal of boiled shrimp and some steamed veggies.  It is not your traditional biscuit but it was yummy and is probably a good recipe to keep around for when you are out of the ingredients for 'real' biscuits. Two lessons I learned: (1) make dinner before daiquiris and (2) a ‘disaster’ dinner can be saved with a buttermilk biscuit.
Ingredients
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon of salt
3 ½ teaspoons baking powder (plus a pinch more)
1 heaping teaspoon sugar
2 Tbsp cold butter
2 Tbsp Crisco
¾ buttermilk (make sure to shake it before you pour it)
Directions
Preheat oven to 500. Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in butter and Crisco. Pour in buttermilk and stir just until dry ingredients are moist. Scoop the biscuits out with an ice cream scoop on to a baking sheet. Bake at 500 for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment